Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Long Time Coming

Why hello there strangers! It has been quite some time since I last sat down and wrote out a good old fashioned blog post, and for that I am truly sorry. The honest truth is that my personal life got turned upside down at the beginning of this summer and the roller coaster ride of life has not slowed down one bit; however, that is a story for another time. Today I want to talk a little bit about the past, present, and future of Holy Shock!

I started Holy Shock back in 2008, as a way for me to write about my personal experiences in Blizzard's game, World of Warcraft. I honestly never expected anyone outside of my closest friends and family to ever read the blog, and so I use to simply write things from my heart with little effort put into actually writing in a more proper format. If I am completely honest with you though, some of those first posts are my favorite posts to this day.

As I continued to write the blog, I began to notice more people were reading the blog from all over the world. This was really humbling to me in a way because I have never felt as if my posts were anything special or deeply informative, but it made me feel good none the less that people would take time out of their busy days to see what some random guy in Kentucky had to say about playing a video game. It was because of you all, that I wanted to make Holy Shock better than it was.

It was because of this that I started trying to improve the blog through writing ongoing series, inviting other bloggers to post here, and attempting to introduce the use of media such as YouTube to the blog. Some of these have proven really positive, and others have proven to be disastrous. At the end of the day, it has all been done with the clear cut goal of making Holy Shock better.

As I sat down to write this blog post, I started looking back over the last couple years worth of posts. I was really bothered by what I saw. Yes, there certainly was the rare post that was good, but more often then not there was simply posts that were filler content. After spending some time really thinking about things, I decided to put this post on hold. During this time, I have spent a lot of hours thinking about what I want to do with the site and at the end of the day I keep coming back to the thought that I want the blog to be something more. The question is what is the more?

If I were to be completely honest, that answer has managed to evade me for quite some time. It wasn't actually until I started going back and really looking at what I have wrote about over the years, that I noticed the answer! You see the answer to the question is not something brand new, but rather exactly what I have been trying to do all along. It was right there when I brought Rather on board to write his opinionated pieces. It was right there when I tried to introduce different ongoing series. It was right there when I started to work to incorporate YouTube into the blog. It has been right there in each and every one of those attempts to improve the blog. So why have I had such a hard time seeing this? The simple answer is because I have had my attention split between far too many different projects.

As I sit here right now, I can truly say that I have finished all of my outside projects and I am free to solely focus on Holy Shock. What this means for the site is that you should begin to see more consistency in the posting. In addition to seeing more regular content, in the coming weeks I plan to roll out a brand new layout to the site! I have some pretty big plans for Holy Shock and I cannot wait to begin rolling them out! So I hope that you all will continue to support me and become more active around here.

Now with all of that having been said, allow me to share with you my final outside project! I do not want to spend a lot of time describing what the video is about. If you want to know my thoughts about why the video was made, then read the video description! I simply hope you guys find the video as fun(ny) as I did making it. See you all later!

No comments: