Friday, April 12, 2013

Forum Fridays: Two Roads

Hello everyone and welcome back for another Forum Friday! Now this weeks edition sadly does not have the actual forum link or image due to Blizzard having locked and apparently removed the topic; however, that does not stop us from discussing it here! The topic that I felt deserved a legitimate look is, "Should Blizzard officially create lore to introduce a gay couple into the WoW universe?"

Now this topic had a run on the forums this week under several threads. Sadly, many of these threads devolved into a name calling match that did not actually cultivate a serious conversation regarding the topic. There was one thread though that caught my attention and I followed closely until it too finally devolved and became locked. In this thread it seemed that there were two very strong opinions that pushed their way to the forefront of the discussion:

  • No, Blizzard should not introduce such a couple as the game is a fantasy game about completing quests, running dungeons and raid content, and other such activities. As it is not based in the real world, it should not look to cater to every group of individuals lest we have to have something for everyone.
  • Yes, Blizzard should introduce such a couple as this game is a fantasy game that while focused on the usual RPG elements, should incorporate elements that provide people with someone that they can relate to in the game.

The conversation that began between the two sides actually introduced a lot of great ideas and concepts that I am not even going to begin to add here as I quite frankly would not be able to say them in the proper way that they were introduced in the thread itself; however, I did spend quite some time thinking about the issue and forming my opinion about it.



At the end of the day, whenever someone makes a request for something to be added to the game I ask myself does it hurt the game? The answer to this request is no. Adding an openly gay couple does not hurt the game; however, it should be done in a way that does not shine a beacon upon the couple as the "token" couple. In other words, I do not want to see something like this introduced into the game simply for the sake of introducing it. Instead, I favor the thought process of one of the forum posters who submitted the idea of using a quest. The quest giver could be a female (or male) who explains that their spouse has been lost in a mine and they are worried about her (or him). They ask you to please go and find them and return them back safely. This would provide a regular quest that is not out of the ordinary and allows for the introduction of a couple that would meet the request of the community. Then what Blizzard chooses to do from there is simply up to them. My own personal opinion would be that they should then continue to introduce the couple throughout the course of the game into a larger quest chain where one of the two becomes a major character of importance. In other words, weave a story that provides substance and not just throws something out to quiet the masses.

Now I realize this is a much more serious topic then what you may have come to expect from here, but as I said last week we are looking to change things up a little bit and part of that change is tackling any and all topics that we consider to be relevant. I cannot think of a more relevant topic than one of this nature. If you have an opinion (and can state it politely), then make sure and leave a comment as I am interested to hear what you all think on this subject.

Well I think that does it for this weeks Forum Fridays! Make sure and check back next week to see what topic I pull from the forums as you just never know how serious we may get around here. I hope you guys have a great day and I will see you later!

No comments: