Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What's That?

I wanted to talk today about something that has been weighing on my mind here lately. It is one of those topics that I feel a lot of bloggers have an opinion on, but rarely do we ever talk openly about it. The topic I am referring to is advertisements on a blog. Over the years, I have seen a wide range of opinions expressed upon this topic, but have remained silent myself. The reason for my silence is because I can see both sides of this opinion.

I understand the feelings of those who prefer not to have advertisement, or see advertisements upon blogs. Many a time have I looked at a brand new blog and immediately left it because I saw an advertisement for something I did not agree with. Typically the ads would involve gold sellers, power leveling, or something that I felt degraded the true spirit of the game that the blog was focused on. There has been some occasions where I have stopped reading a blog (or website) because I felt as if they are being influenced by the items they advertise. Now granted these are typically more associated with technical blogs/websites, but there has been the occasional gaming blog where this has happened as well.

On the other hand, I also can understand why someone may choose to allow ads on their sites. There is an underlying cost to the hobby that these blogs cover, and any amount of revenue that can help offset the cost of upgrading the blog, website, or computer equipment is a good thing. The real trick becomes how to safely monitor what is being advertised and does it seem like the focus of the blog shifted from being about the love of the hobby to being more concerned about making money off of the hobby.

To me, I have always shied away from allowing ads because of that last part. I never want anyone to feel like the focus of Holy Shock is anything other than being about having fun and playing video games. Lately though I have really been looking into the possibilities of placing some ads here on Holy Shock to help cover the cost of the domain name and some minor equipment upgrades. After really thinking about this, I decided on looking into affiliate programs. An affiliate program is a type of referral where you place an ad on your page. If someone then clicks on that add and decides to make a purchase, then the referring site will be compensated for the referral.

I have decided to start out with affiliate ads for the time being for a couple reasons. The first reason is that with affiliate ads, I make the sole decision of what ads will or will not appear on the blog. Secondly, the affiliates I add will all be companies with whom I have dealt with personally. This means that I can vouch for their services. To me that is extremely important.

So what does this mean for you guys? Not a whole lot. I simply wanted to make sure that you guys knew my reasoning behind placing ads here on the blog. Any company or product that I will have an affiliation with, will be located under the "Recommended Services" section. If you are looking for a particular service and you see it listed there, then you can go check them out and help out Holy Shock if you decide to make a purchase.

I just have one other quick thing to talk about with this and then I promise I am done! As you guys know, I have been working on bringing out different series in order to allow you guys to know what content will be up on the blog on certain days. With the roll out of placing ads on the site, I am going to start providing reviews about the products and services on Saturdays. As this is something that is extremely fresh I do not even have a name for the series, but make sure and check the blog out on Saturdays to find reviews for products and services. I will probably expand the reviews to include all products and services that I use because I believe in letting people know about the good stuff that is out there!

As always if you guys have any comments or questions, don't hesitate to leave them here on the blog or email me at Ruhtra@HolyShock.com! Hope you guys have a great humpday!

2 comments:

Sophs said...

Just to throw some support behind you on this one - ads are contentious and the way you're going about it is the best possible way.

Ruhtra said...

@Sophs

Thanks for the support. :)