Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rules Are Rules

So a few weeks back I was returning home from dropping my son off at school. On the way back I entered a school zone here in the States that required me to slow down to 25 M.P.H. I did this and was preparing to turn onto my street when a police officer pulled up behind me and turned his lights on. I acknowledged that I saw him and pulled into a spot on the side of the road. The officer came up and requested my information for the vehicle. I handed it to him and he asked the usual question, "Do you know why I have stopped you today?" I had no clue and told him so. He informed me it was because I was not wearing a safety belt. Here in the state I live in, there is what is known as primary and secondary driving laws. A few years back they changed the seat belt law from a secondary to a primary which basically means a police officer can pull you over and ticket you for it without any other cause. As I was driving slowly because of the school zone, he was clearly able to see my lack of respect for the law and thus I received a ticket for my negligence. Granted it was only $25, but it was still fine.


Over the last few days, the forums on Battle.net for WoW have been lit up over the new set of reporting tools. There have been a lot of posts that are simply meant as trolling, but the other day I came across one that I believe was more serious. In it the poster was concerned that the new tool would be used for griefing purposes rather than the actual reason it is in the game. He presented his argument very logically and even showed how his current name, while not offensive or demeaning to anyone in anyway, could be viewed against the EULA and ToS for WoW.


I read what he wrote very carefully and really thought long and hard about it. After reviewing his information and the information he linked to regarding Blizzard's policy I have come to the following conclusion. The game has a clear set list of rules regarding how we are to name our characters. If we choose to ignore these rules, then just like I received a ticket, we open ourselves up to a possible forced name change or other more severe penalties. Blizzard has set the rules up in order to provide a fun environment for everyone and unfortunately there are far too many in the WoW community who feel they do not need to folow those rules. Blizzard has responded now by placing tools that provide an easy and effective way to report someone for a naming violation.

Will some people be affected by this due to someone trolling? Probably so, but if they are forced to change their name, then they should have more carefully thought out the name they chose originally. What do you all think about this? Do you think this is a good move by Blizzard or do you think it will open up the door to countless trolls reporting people? Leave a comment or shoot me an email!

No comments: