Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Proper Way To Do Things

A few days ago I came across an article that had some really good information that was presented in a very bad way. To be quite honest, the whole article just rubbed me the wrong way. The best part of this article is that it was about how to be a better writer. I truly wish I had marked the site so I could link to it, but you are just going to have to take my word on things. The heart of the article was a how to piece on becoming a better writer and it really was more focused to the "amateur" set who write blogs. Not my words, but theirs.

I know something like that should not have bothered me, but it did. You see when I write, I try to present things in the same light as I feel about them. Sometimes this will be in a very nice articulate, well rounded thought. Other times it will just be an emotional pile of stuff. No matter what though, it is me. I think that is the thing I didn't like about what this person was presenting. They wanted you to no longer be you, but be them. Be cold and calculating and write to increase readership in order to capitalize on the opportunities that come from having a larger reader base.

Maybe I view blogging differently than others, but the bloggers whom I admire, are the ones who have a personal touch to their style. What do you all think? Do you like someone who is technical and follows a rigid pattern for their blog or are you like me and like the people who write from their heart or share a part of themselves through their blogs?

2 comments:

Gazimoff said...

The first rule of blogging is to have fun doing it. It's the only thing that'll keep you going, regardless of the number of people who read your blog.

If you're having fun it'll also come through in your writing. Sticking to a structure and format is all well and good for journalists, but a blog is your own space and your own chance to shine. You set the rules, not anyone else.

There are some simple things like basic legibility and layout, but other than that you can rpetty much do what you like :)

Ophelie said...

It depends what your goals are. If you want to make money off your blog, then you need the hits. And there are recipes to getting the most hits.

But if you want to have a good time and be part of a community, then it's just as Gazimoff put it: you want to be legible and not too hard on the eyes, but beyond that, just have fun.