Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mastery Sucks or Does It?

So I was reading the Holy Paladin thread at Elitist Jerks yesterday, and can I just say that they need to moderate that thread a little. I believe there were two distinct conversations going on, and a few side comments from some folks who had no clue what was going on. Of the two conversations, the one that drew me in was a debate about the viability of a Mastery stacking Paladin in a twenty five man raid. It was actually really interesting to read, but extremely confusing to read if you really did not understand the finer points of Paladin healing.

In the end, I do not know if either side gave on their opinions and I do not think it matters, as something like that is going to be very dependent on the overall set up of your healing team, which was a very valid and recurring point in that thread. Another thing I would point to with most of the forums there, is that the majority of the stats are coming from perfect conditions that many of us, the average players, are not going to have in our own raid teams. So why are the resources like these so popular? They are popular because they provide you with a clear cut goal of what could be.

Quite often, if you really read an entire thread at places like that, you will discover that there are a very strict set of conditions that must be met in order to obtain those results. Usually this will involve variables that you may not always be able to control such as a proc occurring at the right moment, having a specific class present with the perfect build or perfect timing for an ability that is needed for your perfect heal.

So what is this post all about? Am I bashing on places like that? Hell to the no! I am constantly going there and a few other sites to review builds and check in for new concepts in order to improve my own game play. No, what I am saying is that you really need to make sure that you truly understand the entirety of what is being said and not just the last page or two of a thread. I bring this up because I have seen far too many people who like to throw out links and tell people they are playing incorrectly, when in fact they are probably playing correctly for their own conditions. Knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss.

No comments: