Sunday, May 29, 2011

Playing

So I almost missed writing this post today because I was too busy using my free time to play Battle Pirates over on Facebook. This struck me funny because it use to be that I would spend my free time lost in Azeroth. Here lately though I have been spending my free time with Battle Pirates, Left 4 Dead 2, Minecraft, X-com UFO Defense Force, and a few other games as well. This led to me asking why do I really continue to play WoW? Or better phrased, what about WoW keeps me coming back?

I actually have spent about an hour thinking about that very question and came up with the two reasons why I continue to play WoW. The first reason I continue playing is because of the relationships I have with-in the game. What I mean by this is that I play with a wide variety of people, many whom I consider to be my friends. Now some of these fine folks were people I have worked with in the past, while others are individuals I have met with-in the game and have come to count as good friends. Along with them, there is my wife who plays and our son even loves to take control of our characters and attempt to run them around.

The second reason that I continue to play is because I have an invested value in this game. Yes I have the currency investment from purchasing the collector's editions, vanity pets, mounts, and other items of that sort, but you also have to consider the time value that has been invested into the game as well. I have been playing since before the launch of the Burning Crusade expansion straight on through the current Cataclysm expansion with no breaks at all. In other words, WoW has become a hobby of sorts. And just like any other hobby, there is a level of commitment that I have given to the game. It's like the old saying, "time is money".

So I have to wonder what is that keeps so many people playing and what is it that has made others leave the game?

No comments: