Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Personal Message

I want to preface this and say that this post is straight from my heart and I apologize upfront as it will probably be inappropriate for the younger readers and not so interesting to the readers who do not know myself, Eus, and the rest of MAS on a more personal basis. Having said all of that if you are still here, then read on at your own expense.

Almost two years ago Wrath of the Lich King dropped and MAS was excited to pursue this new expansion with a new goal. I have always made it known that our roots were in PVP. We have members who were here from Vanilla's beta testing. We, more than a lot of other guilds, are steeped in the tradition of what WoW was originally. We have a post up where I got a couple of our older members to talk about what WoW use to be like. I did this to show the newer players how difficult this game use to be and also to show that when some of the members speak, they may just have a little bit more knowledge than what you would think. We grew up on a server that had world PVP in mass through the Burning Crusade expansion and we were active in this. This has been a blessing and a cursing in that we often times would get sidetracked by killing Alliance instead of pursuing the raiding game. The positive side of this is that PVP'ers who turn to raiding often times have much better reaction times and can change strats on the fly in the middle of the encounter without instructions from the raid leader. Now when you get an entire guild like this, you have a fantastic group of talented players who can overcome any situation given enough time.

Our biggest problem was that some of our members wanted to raid at all cost. They cared more about their individual achievements than that of MAS. They left and they damn near tore down MAS in the process. Early on we lost half of our core raiders and were left gutted and unsure of what to do. I remember the anger and betrayel that I felt as I viewed most of these people as friends. I was enraged and I made no attempt to hide my feelings on the subject from anyone. I was actually told by one member that we should consider just remaining focused on PVP. That was the straw that broke the camel's back so to say. I spoke with several remaining members and officers and asked them all point blank what their intentions were. The resounding answer was that MAS was their home and they were going to stay so long as there was a MAS. Their dedication to the guild filled me with a sense of purpose. I decided that I would get them to their goals. I started working on making sure that we had guild runs scheduled, even if no one showed up. I put in time building up our bank resources. I put my blood, sweat, and tears into MAS.

We slowly over time started to see slow progress. After a few changes in the officers and getting a new raid leader, we decided the time was right to push into ICC. As I sit here now at 6:20 AM EST on Saturday morning I am proud to say that we knocked the shit out of every boss in ICC that we have encountered. We now sit on the brink of taking out Sindragoso and the Lich King. We went in last night with a group, that on paper was not our strongest group possible and exceeded all expectations. This was also the first week that we had set two nights for ICC 10. I cannot say how proud I am at what these people have managed to accomplish. We decided a long time ago that we would remain a strict 10 man guild and have not tried to clear parts of ICC 25 to upgrade our gear in order to overpower this content. Instead we rely on each other and our own ability to adapt and overcome every situation. I have always been very hesitant to make this next statement, but by God we have earned it. We are the best strict 10 man guild on our server, bar none!

Now for the personal part. I want to take a moment and talk to all the people who left MAS to be able to raid "current" content. To all of you who are sitting in trade channel begging for an ICC run, to all of the people who told us to stick with PVP, to all of you who marked us as being a failure, to you I say fuck you. Had you been able to put down your own egos and worked with the rest of the guild, then you too could be enjoying the success of the guild and where we are. Instead, you continue to sit out there and spam the trade channels looking for a group that will try to carry your lazy ass. I want to take it one step farther though and thank each and every one of you for making us stronger. You see the old saying that talks about only being as strong as your weakest link is so true and it was apparant who the weak links were in MAS and we owe you much for removing yourselves and saving us the trouble of struggling to carry you. The sad part is that you each will assume I talking about someone other than you. In closing, thank you for putting the fire in me to see this thing through. This is a chapter in MAS that I am closing and will never look to speak about ever again, but I want you to know that when you thought we would not make it, we took that as a reason to make it in spite of you.

Now to the members of MAS, I want to personally thank each and every one of you. Over the years, you all have meant a lot to me. During the last two and a half years, you have been with me through changing jobs, the death of my Father, moving, going from a family of 2 to a family of 5, and countless other things that you may never know. In all honesty, I took a test regarding despression and the results said that you would be clinically depressed if you scored 16 or higher. I managed to score 32 because of all of these major life events occurring in a matter of a few months. Through all of it, you guys were there and you may never know how much you helped me by just being there to talk to. It has been a pleasure going on this journy with you and I couldn't be more proud of each and every one of you. I know we do not take the time often to say these sorts of things, but I want you all to know that I could not have found a better group of people to spend my free time with. It is for you that I continue to work to improve this guild and make it what you guys want. We will finish together what we started so many months ago and you know that if you ever need anything and I am able to help, all you need to do is ask.

1 comment:

Edyion said...

Its been one hell of a ride, chief and I can't wait to stomp a mud hole in Arthas then take on the Cataclysm head on!