Thursday, July 1, 2010

Are We Allowed?

A few days ago I asked a question about whether or not the readers of a blog have the right to be disappointed in the writers of the blog. The responses were exactly what I had expected to see and some of them were very close to my own thoughts on the question. You see, I write a blog as a way for me to share my viewpoints on things that concern the World of Warcraft and occassionaly some other subjects as well. It is something that is done of my own free time with no merit or reward being offered. I will honestly say that at times, it can almost seem like a second job when you decide to write something that is more in depth and requires research. I do though because I enjoy doing it, as I am sure many of you out there do as well.

I try to write from a neutral perspective as much as one possibly can. I would like to think that I do a fairly good job at it. I avoid the big topics like politics and religion. I have learned that these topics are emotional topics and best left for their own proper realms. I try to keep the blog as focused as I can on things that affect the game that we all love to play and read about. I know I have never laid down any type of "rules" around here, as I view everyone as being adult and understanding that nothing can come from screaming matches (even screaming matches over a blog). Along with not providing "rules" which govern the blog, I also have not provided any sort of promise about content or posting schedules save the fact that I will try to have something up on here at least once a week. I think we are doing a pretty good job of this.

Then out of nowhere I received an email that could irritate me if I were to allow it. The person claims to be "disappointed" in Holy Shock and the change in content being offered. This person went on to say that they found it sad how we traded our style of writing from one that was viewable by everyone, to one that should have a "content advisory" notice on it. This person went on to belittle the blog and the recent articles that have been posted. They also felt the need to question why I would allow Rather to be writing here when they felt the majority of the problems started with his addition. They went on to do some more berating and belittling before one more time stressing how disappointed they were with the blog now.

I really debated how best to handle this particular email. I have not shared the information with anyone, not my wife nor Rather. I instead thought it would be a good topic to discuss here on the blog. After all, it is a blog for opinions (especially mine) so what better way to clear the air regarding this email? The very first thing I would like to say is that I refuse to edit or censor anyone who writes a post here at Holy Shock. It is not my job to guarantee that something will not offend you. I realize that there are young kids who may read this blog and I try to balance out the posts, but it is not my job to make sure that any of your children are not seeing content which may be inapropriate for them. In reality, it is the adult's responsibility to ensure that their children are reading/looking at material which is appropriate for them. I do not rely on the radio station or television station to make sure that my son is not hearing or seeing things that I would deem inapropriate for him.

The second thing I would like to point to is the fact that when Rather decided to accept the invitation to write here at Holy Shock, he made a point to note that he does write in a way that may be offensive and advised those who do not wish to view his "rants" to not read the posts that he writes on Fridays. I would take it one step farther and say that if you do not wish to chance upon a post that he writes, then perhaps this blog is not the right blog for you to be reading. It would be a different thing if I believed that anyone who wrote here at Holy Shock was writing with an intention to offend someone, but the fact is that we do not. We all have our different styles of writing and different ways to express ourselves and that is what makes the blog good in my opinion. I have no intent to change anything about the way that anyone writes here and the only way that anyone is going to quit having an opportunity to post their writings here is if they choose to quit blogging or that they decide that Holy Shock is not the proper place for their writing.

In closing, I would like to thank the person who emailed me with their concerns. I appreciate the fact that you have held the blog in high regard, but if you look over the past of this blog there have been plenty of rants by myself that could have rivaled that of Rather. I appreciate that you took the time to make me aware of your feelings, but at the end of the day this is a blog that is meant for people to express theirselves. Thank you and now I return you to your regularly scheduled blogging.

- Ruhtra

5 comments:

Edyion said...

I am Edyion and I approve this message.

Eus said...

Whether it is my post on Holy Shock or even my own blog over at The Suicidal Healer, I'll say whatever I damn well please. Why? Because I can. Last time I checked, I still have the freedom to say whatever I feel like.

Again, it is our responsibility for myself and Ruhtra to make sure our son does not watch anything inappropriate on television. So, it seems to me it would be the e-mailer's responsibility if they have children to make sure they don't read blogs that could be offensive.

As far as myself and Rather go, it's like this: we were asked to post on here. I originally turned Ruh down the first time he asked. It was some time before I decided to take him up on his invitation to be a fellow poster.

Rather is a very interesting person. He shoots straight, pulls no punches. I think that scares people. Just remember this...I'm the nicer of the two, and that is scary.

You have the right to your opinion, and you sure as hell have the right to not read or watch whatever bothers/offends you. No person is holding a gun to your head so although we do appreciate other's opinions here at Holy Shock, but with all due respect, I shrug my shoulders and say "meh, oh wells".

Saunder said...

Your blog, your rules. (Implied or otherwise). If you want Rather to post, then so be it, ignore the whingers, they will always find something new to worry about.

RatherNotSay said...

Damn I am a little late to the party here, but I find it funny that someone would complain about a blog post when there are sooooo many better targets out there. Oh well, such is life.

If it was all directed at me, I don't give a ........

Perhaps we will save this for a topic around here later on.

Ratshag said...

Once had me a comment from a bugger what said he wanted fer ta keep reading, but was gonna unsubscribe 'cause I didn't talk normal. Made me laugh so hard I dang near peed me Legplates of Frozen Granite. Yer blog is yer blog - if ya goes around tryin' ta pleas everbodies, all that's left is a pile of bland-arsed mush.