Monday, March 29, 2010

Blogger Drama

(This post was written last week while I was in training at my job and unable to publish. Enjoy!)

Why is that as bloggers we seem to always manage to find drama? In the past couple of weeks, it is no secret that there was an "incident" that evolved into one blogger who, at the time of writing this, has decided to stop blogging. This in turn resulted in a "War of Bloggers" (although it was more one-sided and humorous) of sorts. As I read through the different posts of those involved you could sense their emotions as they as they wrote their posts and respond to commenters. I can't help but stop and ask the question, why? Why so much drama?

I think in part as humans we are drawn to drama like a moth is drawn to flames. Stop and think back to some of the biggest events in the past year or so of blogging. I would dare to say that if we composed a top ten list, it would be composed of probably 80% drama related events. As I was writing this, I imediately thought of the Gevlon/Markco situation a while back. I am sure you thought of a few yourself as you have been reading as well.

I suppose when it comes right down to it, drama is entertaining. If you do not believe me, then why is it when you post a general, perhaps informational post, that your commenters go way down? Yes, certainly it has to do with the fact that people may not want to just something like "well done", but I tend to view it as a little different. I think we view drama like a train wreck. You hate to see it, but you just can't look away. Take for instance, the recent staged drama from the SANs US. They managed to get quite a few folks riled up, but did the courtesy of revealing the ruse before any real damage could be done. Why were people so willing to take a side so quickly? The single answer is that we love drama.

No comments: