Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Paladin's Thoughts On All Things Holy: Retribution Paladins and the Bad Name That They Give The Rest of Us

That pretty much says it all right there in the title. Thank you and have a great day.

.
..
...
....
.....
......
.......
........

Alright, I cannot leave it there, but I really want to. So please do not get mad at me on this one folks. I really do like retribution Paladins, they are always amusing to laugh at. Now I am not talking the ones who understand their class and know their role. I am talking about the ones who know nothing of their class and only rolled a Paladin because they are so "OP"! So let's take the one who I happened to be in a PuG H CoS with recently as an example. On a side note, if you need verification of this information, please feel free to ask my associate Mr. Fish.

So, I was on my Hunter all day today. I figure why not run some PuG heroics to grab some gear. It has been rough trying to get guild runs lately as we have been more focused on raiding and for some strange reason they never want me to bring my Hunter. So I get an invite to a group and I start to head there. The very first thing I see in the party chat is a Paladin talking about wanting to make a timed run and that they wanted to know who was after the mount. I kindly stated that I had it on my main so I did not care either way. We could run for it or we could run at a slower pace. Now they did not have a tank, so I whispered Fish and asked him if he would be interested. He agreed because it was me asking and the fact that I think he likes to get beat on in heroic instances still. So he joins and we all start heading to instance. I arrived first and went ahead and started the whole story line and cleared all that boring initial stuff. The entire time I am doing this, our Paladin friend is spouting off about everything under the sun.

So based upon his talk, I am expecting him to be putting out 3k DPS in the run. So here comes Mr DPS up next to me. I do a quick inspection and see some greens, blues, and epic PVP (aka charity epics). He was noticeably lacking in the area of badged epics. Of the gear that he did have, not one piece was enchanted or socketed. I inquired of him why and he replied "cause I haven't". Alright, so right there I knew that he and I may not get along. Here I am on my Hunter who I have not had the easiest time getting to run stuff geared out in some good quality gear from badges, epic drops that were BoE that I purchased off the AH, and fully enchanted. In other words I put my time in, put my gold in, and came prepared. I expect everyone to at least do that. I accept that not everyone will be geared out in full epics and able to rock consistently high DPS, but I expect them to do some of the basics. I even agree that sometimes it may be better to have a blue piece of gear or lower level item equipped because the epic alternative currently available may not suit your playstyle, but this requires someone to have a really strong understanding of the game and their own class.

I set aside my detest for the Paladin's apparent laziness and we begin to run the instance. We down the first boss with no issues. We then proceed to wipe as some folks ran farther ahead and that led to some sudden instant death syndrome for our characters. No worries, we rez and we go running back. All the while, our Paladin is asking if we can still do it in time. I honestly hit my breaking point here but bit my lip and politely typed out in easy to understand words that the wipe cost us too much time and our DPS was a little low. See I used the "our" word instead of the "your" word. So we clear out the zone up to the inn and the infinite dragons. When we get there, once again, Mr DPS asks if we can get the mount. At this point one of the members says that we cannot but do not worry about it, it is not important. Mr DPS says that it was important to him, which was all I could handle. I link the overall recount data that shows Mr DPS at a whopping 799 DPS. That is not a typo, that was his actual DPS. I can out DPS that on my level 71 Shaman. I can out DPS that on my Paladin in full Holy spec with my Holy gear on only casting Holy Shock once every six seconds. I then tell him that if it was so important to him he would have shown up prepared by having all of his sockets filled and his gear enchanted. I didn't even tell him it needed to be properly socketed or enchanted, just show that you at least cared enough to look like you put some thought into it. Mr DPS then proceeded to be quiet and not inquire about the mount any longer.

At this point, we were down to four of us as the Mage left when Mr DPS inquired about his mount. The group asks if we want to continue. I really seriously thought about ending it here. I mean I suffered enough through the run didn't I? Nope, I cannot stand quitting. I replied and said it was the healer and tank who needed to make the decision. I was just the muscle so it did not matter to me either way. We decided to continue on. We cleared the inn and the infinite dragons there. We cleared the gauntlet at a slow pace, but without deaths. We beat the final boss and completed the daily quest. Mr DPS was well behaved and he did not even seem mad at my loss of temper since he asked if we wanted to run something else. I politely declined as I needed to walk the dogs and he needed to run something that was his own level and not be carried through.

So this brings me to my title about the bad name that retribution Paladins are giving the rest of us. I mean we are supposed to be bearers of the Light and protectors of those who cannot protect theirselves. Instead we are becoming whining individuals who need to be carried through content. I beg you, please stop it. Take your class serious or go back to playing a Death Knight or Hunter. Seriously. I am not joking. Okay, I was joking, but I honestly am seeing more and more retribution Paladins who do not understand the first thing about their class. I honestly debated on whispering this guy at the end of the run and trying to explain to him about how to run his rotation (and yes there is a rotation for retribution Paladins, it is not just hitting two buttons), but I honestly felt that it would have done no good. That is why I am bringing it here. Please if you have a friend or loved one who is trying to "ret" it up. Please call us now at 1-555-Dont-Ret. We have operators standing by who can assist you with information on how to help these poor lost Paladins. Again that number is 1-555-Dont-Ret, please call soon.

8 comments:

Mister K said...

That is an awesomely horrible tale and unfortunately all to common in todays WoW. I hope enough people get this message and help those who cannot help themselves

RatherNotSay said...

That is so true. It seemed like for a long time all the "challenged" people would stick with hunters, but damn if they didn't all roll a Paladin?

Then it seemed like they all left to level Death Knights, but since Blizz nerfed the Death Knights to the ground it seems all the "challenged" came back to the Paladain simply so they can either heal/tank (and I say that loosely) in order to get gear, but it seems even the Holy and Protection base is getting deluted with these terrible players.

Ruhtra said...

@ Mister K

No kidding, perhaps we should start a petition or something? Maybe just by putting the message out there we can help bring attention to this real problem?

@ RatherNotSay

I cannot agree with you more.

Edyion said...

As a hunter (that takes pride in learning what to and not to do) and a retadin (yeah yeah i was ret before ret was cool) it saddens me to see the 'lazy' people pick up my classes as it makes the rest of us look bad. On the other hand it adds to why i play them in the first place. I take pride in my hunter cause it isn't all faceroll in the end game. It takes some sort of intelligence to not be 'that guy' who keeps messing everything up. On the same token i stayed ret before we got all the shiny buttons that make things hurt because i dont like people telling me 'you shouldn't play that it sucks'. There will always be that class people fall back on just cause its suppose to be 'easy' though. Just means the people that respect the class and take pride in it have to work harder.

Ruhtra said...

@ Edyion

Yes I remember when no one wanted to be a ret Pali, that was a long long time ago. I agree when a class is played properly they all can be great. It just seems that there are certain classes that get a reputation for being easy and they typically are.

I remember back before Blizz nerfed the Warlock, everyone said the same about that class. Now granted it was easy, but there was just something that was fun about the dot, dot, dot, fear PVP Affliction build. Was I skilled with my lock? I believe I was, but it never changed the fact that they were only slightly better thought of than Hunters.

RatherNotSay said...

@ Edyion

So you have a Hunter and a ret Paladin? Hmmm You just lost some respect from me....

Kidding

I agree with you that if you find a player, and really for any class, who understands their abilities and how they work/mesh with the other classes present, then those players are the ones you want to make sure and associate yourself with.

Fish said...

I do actually like tanking heroics. I never get tired of the ones I know and would like to learn more, but I would prefer if people are getting benefit i.e you and christi on hunters or some other alt, maybe lock once you hit 80. I don't like just farming badges, but I like to help out. Plus, once I gear up my shammy, I am gonna need some DPS to run with ;)

Ruhtra said...

@ Fish

Hey buddy I am always down to help you however.