Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why So Down?

Man, I am almost depressed reading some blogs on here. I have been going through some more of the regular group of blogs and randomly pulling up people who reply and reading their blogs.
Today I came across Hound's blog and I feel bad for some reason.

Hound seems to be feeling down about being stuck in what I call the "rut". I remember the first time I hit that spot,it was right after getting Ruhtra to 70. I was so excited thinking about how much fun it would be to run all the raids I had been waiting to get into. Then I got slapped in the face with the game, as I realized that being a fresh 70 was like starting all over. Sure, I worked my ass off to reach the game cap for BC, but that did not mean I was prepared (sorry for the cheap pun). I had to start gaining reputation in order to run heroics just to get some adequate gear and then hope that I could find a spot in a raid (at the time MAS was no where near ready to consider running raiding content).

I think the point where I differed from Hound is that I had no problem with putting a couple hours to run an instance a couple nights a week. I had some great friends online and that also helped with forming groups. I guess what I would recommend to anyone who finds theirself in that "rut", would be to think back to what got you playing the game. For me, it was a chance to spend some time goofing off in a game with friends that I worked with. To this day, we still spend much time goofing off. Sure the guild has grown, but I think we have done a good job of making everyone feel welcomed into our little disfunctional family.

I honestly even believe that you can set the game aside and apply that principle to your every day life. If something becomes boring or you lose your happiness when doing something. then ask yourself why you started doing it in the first place? I have found that when we get back to the basics of who we are and what we truly enjoy, everything in life (real or game) becomes fun again and it does not matter if you have to go kill 17,000 boars to hit your level (another cheap joke) because you have the fresh perspective on it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not expect this type of material very often from me. :)

No comments: